Thursday, June 28, 2007

ALA Day 4

Had a nice last day. My first session was good. It was about using technology for outreach. It talked a lot about the Web 2.0 technologies and how we can integrate them, so good stuff. The next session was a clunker. It was programming on a shoestring budget, and though I got a couple ideas, overall it was kind of useless. The problem was that it was presented by librarians from Chicago, and the whole thing was talking about talking famous people into donating their time. Well, that's great if you have a bunch of famous people where you are, but Salisbury ain't got no Oprah! ;) I've blogged in the programming team blog with a bunch of ideas.
Incidentally, today I saw the funniest thing that happened to me the entire conference. I decide to eat lunch in Chinatown (which is only a couple blocks from the convention center. I'm sitting there eating in a packed restaurant. There were about 25-30 tables, and a bunch of people waiting to be seated. All of a sudden, the door flies open and a boy (probably about 11 or 12) comes running in screaming at the top of his lungs as if he'd been injured. Of course, all heads turn. The kid grabs himself, continues screaming, runs through the restaurant and into the restroom. The room went dead silent for about five seconds while everyone just looked at one another, then every person in the restaurant started cracking up laughing. I have never seen anything like it. Incidentally, the kid eventually came out of the restroom and casually walked out as if nothing had happened. But I digress. Overall it was a great conference. I really enjoyed myself and I appreciate that I had the opportunity to go. Next year's in California, so maybe I can talk my husband into going out there for it with the promise of visiting his relatives.!

No comments: